Tuesday, July 20, 2010

6 months? What the heck were you doing for 6 months?

This was the guy in customs' reaction to Caleb when he asked him how long he had been traveling for. I'm sure we'll be answering the question a few more times.

Caleb and I said bye to Cameron and Caitlin yesterday as we parted ways at the Sydney airport for our respective flights back to the US of A.

For his first American indulgence, Caleb went for the snickers. Yes they have snickers in Australia, but they're like $4.

I chose a mocha frappuccino....can't beat it!


Some of my first thoughts/signs of culture shock:
1.Our money is all the same color and so boring. In Australia every bill is a different color.
2.Call me shallow, but Americans dress so much better than Australians
3.Menu prices don't include tax! In Australia, the price you see is what you get.
4.I don't have to use a converter to plug stuff in! It's great!
5.I guess I have to go back to taking showers regularly again?

While I'm glad to be back home, the last 6 months in Australia have been the time of my life. We had absolutely no idea what we were doing when we got there and it's amazing to look back and think about the lives we developed in our time on the other side of the world. On the way home Caleb and I talked about how much we have learned about God, life and about ourselves. I'll put together some kind of a list and get it up here soon.

I really have no idea how many people have been reading this, but I hope you've enjoyed our journey if you have been.

Here we were 6 months ago with no idea what was ahead of us. David, Sherb and Taylor it would not have been the same without you!

Last night as we pulled back into the Charlotte airport.

I'll get 1 or 2 more posts up as I'm going through pictures and then probably take a blogging sabbatical for a little while. Thanks for reading.

From Burlington, North Carolina USA
Ned

2 comments:

Douglas Piper said...

it has been awesome to read all about the trip thanks for the updates...will be calling you soon dude.

milton said...

Thank you for being such a wonderful christian friend and travel bud for Caleb. I know he is eternally grateful and more so Beth and I are especially appreciative for the blessing you were and are to Caleb.

"The LORD bless you
and keep you;

the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;

the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace."

milton and beth